SHEBOYGAN — Advocate Aurora Health owns the former Sheboygan County Highway Department office and maintenance shop on the city’s west side, but it remains to be seen what will come of it.
According to spokesperson with the non-profit health care system, the property was purchased in 2018 for future growth potential across the street from the Aurora Sheboygan Clinic and there are no plans for development at this time. The sale of the property was expected to fetch $1.4 million at sale. In 2006, Sheboygan County sold the land north of the building to the City of Sheboygan for the construction of a new police station.
Located at 1211 North 23rd Street, the 8.3 acre property has 77,000-square-feet between three buildings. It was built by local architect Edgar Stubenrauch and opened in 1954 on the old asylum grounds. Stubenrauch also designed the Taylor Hill Reservoir in 1932. At the time of its completion, the four million gallon structure, located at the Taylor Drive Beltline and Highway 23, was regarded as the largest elevated reservoir in the United States and the second largest in the world according to the Wisconsin Historical Society.
Sheboygan County sold three maintenance shops, including the North 23rd Street location, as the Highway Department consolidated their operations. A newly built $25 million facility, located along Highway 67 between Plymouth and Elkhart Lake, opened in 2018.
In June 2018, Sheboygan’s City Hall began a $10.5 million renovation that lasted about a year. While the renovation took place, the offices of the city administrator, the mayor, along with the city’s IT and Human Resources departments moved to the site on North 23rd Street while other city government offices worked out of the old Social Security Administration building at North 9th Street and Center Avenue.
Earlier this month, WKTS News reported St. Nicholas Hospital’s purchase of the former Maple Lanes Bowling Funplex on Sheboygan’s south side for what could possibly be a clinic or urgent care.