Overnight closure of Kwik Trip South is permanent

Kwik Trip South is located at 2622 South Business Drive in Sheboygan
Kwik Trip South is located at 2622 South Business Drive in Sheboygan

SHEBOYGAN — An overnight closure of the Kwik Trip store on Sheboygan’s south side is permanent while a fifth store will be built less than a mile away.

Kwik Trip South, located at 2622 South Business Drive, began closing during the overnight hours on June 18th due to a lack of employees. At the time, the overnight closure was believed to be temporary. According to Kwik Trip, the store will no longer be open 24 hours. Company officials did not provide specifics for the closure other than to say a new store will be built nearby.

The new hours of operation are from 5 AM to 11 PM daily.

The company plans to open a fifth store in the City of Sheboygan at the northwest corner of South Business Drive and Broadway Avenue. Kwik Trip Oscar, which will be open 24 hours, is anticipated to open in March 2022. It will be located in the Van Der Vaart neighborhood, the former home of the Van Der Vaart concrete company. The two stores will be located less than one mile from one another along South Business Drive.

Kwik Trip South was built in 1999 and was the second Kwik Trip store in Sheboygan, some eight years after opening their first store on Calumet Drive near Superior Avenue. The store was originally built to be 3,872-square-feet with eight gasoline pumps. The investment was estimated at over $1 million. The City of Sheboygan sold the Hou-Seye property to Kwik Trip for $355,000. The city’s Redevelopment Authority had wanted to sell the land to a Milwaukee developer for $50,000 for a proposed office building.

The store was part of the redevelopment efforts in the Conoco neighborhood which led to the Washington Square shopping complex opening in 2001. The complex, which features a 63,000-square-foot Piggly Wiggly supermarket, was once an oil refinery operated by Empire Petroleum Company and later Conoco. The refinery opened at South Business Drive and Washington Avenue in 1941 before operating as an asphalt plant in 1954 until its closure in 1985.