SHEBOYGAN — The City of Sheboygan recently announced the winners of the April 2021 call for artists for designs to be placed on utility boxes.
Over 25 applications were submitted with various works of art. A review committee represented by the John Michael Kohler Art Center, the Sheboygan Area School District, Visit Sheboygan, the Department of Public Works and the Department of Planning & Development ranked the applications.
The following artists were chosen as finalists:
- Anna Hawe, two pieces: “Astronaut and Sherlock” and “Malibu of the Midwest”
- Jason Kotecki, “Weeds or Wishes”
- Paula Hagerman, “Tall Ships on Sheboygan River”
- Joyce Babel-Worth, “Kaleidoscope of Flowers”
- Xoe Fiss, “Levitt AMP concerts at City Green – Together We Create Sheboygan”
- Toril Fisher, “Natures Beauty – Yellow Flowers”
- Wesley Cervantes, “Sheboygan”
- Jordan Gottsacker, “Stay Weird Sheboygan”
- Cindy Sarkady, “Kohler Andre”
- Flynn Luedtke, “Sheboygan’s harbor-themed aesthetics and unique architecture”
- Susan Alby, “Relaxing with a cup of coffee”
“One of the many reasons why I applied for this project was because of my growing interest in the art installations that can be seen around Sheboygan,” said Flynn Luedtke, a 22-year old UW-Green Bay graduate in digital art. “It’s an honor to be one of the finalists for this project.”
The City of Sheboygan has begun working with local companies that provide vinyl wrapping to develop the wraps and install them on twelve city-owned utility boxes around the community. Installation of the wraps is planned to occur this fall.
Funding for this program is from a federal grant for placemaking.